While many of us acknowledge the importance of water as a multipurpose natural resource, we more often than not fail to understand the importance of drinking water and the health benefits it brings with it to the human body.
This could be due to the introduction of other supplementary drinks such as juices, beverages etc. While these drinks are rich in taste, scientists prove to say that nothing amounts to good health as 8 glasses of water a day. This is because water is free of calories and sugar and hence helps prevent many health complications unlike the other drinks consumed.
To understand better, listed billow, are a few benefits of drinking water for a healthy life.
1. Drinking water helps increase once physical performance. If one fails to stay hydrated, the physical performance can suffer. This is especially important when performing intense exercise or at a place where the temperature is high. Keeping oneself hydrated increases the energy levels of the body and hence contributes to high physical performance.
2. It plays a significant role in stabilising brain function and energy levels. Your brain is strongly influenced by your hydration status. Studies show that even mild dehydration, such as the loss of 1–3% of body weight, can impair many aspects of brain function. In a study in young women, researchers found that fluid loss of 1.4% after exercise impaired both mood and concentration. It also increased the frequency of headaches. Many members of the same research team conducted a similar study in young men. Where they found that fluid loss of 1.6% was detrimental to working memory and increased feelings of anxiety and fatigue. Many other studies, with subjects ranging from children to older adults, have shown that mild dehydration can impair mood, memory, and brain performance.
3. Also acts as a cure for headaches. Dehydration caused due to lack of water in the body, can be a major cause for severe headaches and also migraines in some individuals. Research has shown that a headache is one of the most common symptoms of dehydration. What’s more, some studies have shown that drinking water can help relieve headaches in those who experience frequent headaches. A study in 102 men found that drinking an additional 50.7 ounces (1.5 litters) of water per day resulted in significant improvements on the Migraine-Specific Quality of Life scale, a scoring system for migraine symptoms. Plus, 47% of the men who drank more water reported headache improvement, while only 25% of the men in the control group reported this effect.
4. Drinking water may help relieve constipation. Constipation is a common problem that is caused due to infrequent bowel movement. As a part of the solution, increasing intake of fluids is recommended. In most individuals, low consumption of water leads to a major risk of constipation. Mineral water may be a particularly beneficial beverage for those with constipation. Studies have shown that mineral water that’s rich in magnesium and sodium improves bowel movement frequency and consistency in people with constipation.
5. Consumption of water also can help treat kidney stones. Kidney stones are painful clumps of mineral crystal that form in the urinary system. There’s limited evidence that water intake can help prevent recurrence in people who have previously gotten kidney stones. Higher fluid intake increases the volume of urine passing through the kidneys. This dilutes the concentration of minerals, so they’re less likely to crystallize and form clumps. Water may also help prevent the initial formation of stones, but studies are required to confirm this.
As the consumption of water brings with it a lot of benefits in maintaining good health it is essential for us to inculcate the of consuming water frequently so as to help avoid health complications.
Disability Entrepreneurship And Leadership (DEAL) Foundation works across the districts of Gadag and Bengaluru to promote sustainable livelihood opportunities for persons with disabilities.
We firmly believe that health is one of core aspects to leading an independent life, hence we promote awareness on the importance of health to educational instutions, and also to the disabled and women members we work with.
For any questions regarding the blog, please write to us at email@example.com
And to know more about the work we do, please log on to www.deal-foundation.com