According to the rights of persons with disabilities act (RPWD) 2016 disability is a person with long term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairment which, in interaction with barriers, hinders his full and effective participation in society equally with others.
Did you know? The World Bank estimates that around 10% of the world’s total population of persons with disabilities out of which around seven crores, seventy millions live in India.
According to a census conducted by the government of India, in 2016 majority of persons with disabilities that is 69%of the majority live in rural villages and small towns.
And less than 20% of persons with disabilities of working age are gainfully engaged in employment and income generation activities.
These calls for serious action so as to help persons with disabilities and women residing in rural areas achieve economic independence.
Disability Entrepreneurship And Leadership (DEAL) Foundation, a not-for-profit company was established in 2015 and since been working at the districts of Bengaluru and Gadag to promote livelihood opportunities for persons with disabilities.
We are now scaling up our activities across 7 taluks involving 138 Gram Panchayats and 346 revenue villages of Gadag district. The main objective is to create sustainable livelihood opportunities for 3000 persons with disability and 1000 women members in the district.
To do this, we partnered with Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) and have developed a few deliverables such as:
- Disability awareness training and community sensitization for 3000 persons with disabilities and 1000 women members across 7 taluks, 138 Gram Panchayats and 346 revenue villages of Gadag district in North Karnataka;
- District wide sustainable livelihoods baseline survey, community needs mapping, family visioning and SWOT analysis including livelihood plan and database development for 3000 persons with disabilities and 1000 women members;
- Provide entrepreneurship and leadership skills development and financial literacy training and support to 3000 persons with disabilities and 1000 women members;
- 3000 persons with disabilities and 1000 women members trained and engaged in sustainable livelihood activities;
- Establishment of 7 Arambha Swaudyoga Kendra (ASK) Centres one in each of the seven taluks run and managed by persons with disabilities and women members;
- Formation of 800 JLG/SHG groups with a total membership of 3000 persons with disabilities and 1000 women members;
- Provide bank / financial and market linkage to 3000 persons with disabilities and 1000 women members and on boarding them on platform like Jeevan Kart etc.;
- Formation of 3 Farmer Producer Companies with a total of 1400 persons with disabilities and 600 women members and creation of land holding / land use database;
- Formation of two cooperatives societies of persons with disabilities one each at a taluk and district level.
For us achieve these deliverables across the seven taluks, four new members have joined our team:
Ambavva.Shakhanvar (Veena) – A resident of Betigeri in Gadag District. She suffers from locomotor disability since birth. She has completed her master’s degree in English.
She expresses her willingness to work for the welfare of persons with disabilities and help them become independent.
Rekha.Basavaraj Maddi – A resident of Shirahatti taluk in Gadag district has completed her second PUC. She’s a physically disabled person suffering from weakness in her left limb.
She is happy to work with the foundation so as to remove all the negative perceptions of disability that persists in the rural community.
Annapurna. Manjunath Marabad – A resident of Eklasapur in Gadag district has completed her D ED and Bachelors of Arts degree.
Despite having no disability she feels the urge to work for persons with disabilities and help them become independent individuals in the society which she hopes to achieve as she works with DEAL Foundation.
Virupaxappa Sharanappa Shalavasi – A resident of Betigeri in Gadag district has completed his PUC and ITI.
He is a person suffering from physical disability with weakness in his right limb. He makes and sells paper plates during his free time at home.
He has always been keen to help persons with disabilities achieve independence and hence has expressed his willingness to work with the foundation.
For any questions please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To know more about the work we do, please log on to www.deal-foundation.com