Employment one of the essential aspects responsible for reduction of poverty has become one of the major challenges in today’s day and age. Due to the advancement in technology, employment opportunities have become scarce as time progresses.
This is more so for persons with disabilities who on their part lack awareness about the different opportunities available. And on the other hand due to their disabilities are denied the available opportunities.
As a solution to this, persons with disabilities need to ensure to identify their strengths and the skills they possess, after doing so, the question of how to find the right job that matches their skills and abilities need to be looked in to and sort a solution to, as an answer to this:
- A complete knowledge on the type of disability one has: This doesn’t really mean that your possibilities are limited or one is limited to a certain job only, instead this knowledge about your disability will help provide insights into the jobs that will best open doors for you. For instance, if you suffer from ADHD, you will do well in careers that offer creativity and independence.
- Your qualifications and skills: Do you have time management skills? Or do you have analytical skills. It is important to review your background and focus on what you can do best.
- Your interests and passions: Most persons with disabilities get in to any job that they are offered only to support themselves and their dependents. But soon would get tired of their job and feel a sense of dissatisfaction. To avoid this, it is important to analyze yourself and find out where your passion lies. By doing this, you will find you are satisfied with whatever you do, and also achieve economic progress.
Another important question that comes to the minds of persons with disabilities that needs answering is should I disclose my disability?
Well it is not necessary to disclose your disability.
The only scenario when you need to consider to disclose your disability is when requesting for reasonable accommodation.
Here are a few pointers one needs to consider when deciding to disclose your disability.
- If getting reasonable accomodation will help you be successful in your position and you will no longer have a barrier preventing you from doing the job and advancing in it. At the same time, you will live authentically, and bring your whole self to work.
- Ensure that your timing to disclose your disability is right, If you think you need accommodation, only then you can choose to disclose your disability but request it after accepting the job offer. This doesn’t necessarily need to happen during the interview. However, it’s better to do it before there are work performance issues. The best timing would be within the first week of starting a new job.
- A disability can change or advance. If these changes affect your work performance, it’s best to notify the relevant people. They will adjust the accommodation and create a comfortable workspace for you.
It isn’t mandatory to tell co-workers or other employees about your accommodation or disability. As for your employer, he is obligated to keep the information confidential.
Disability Entrepreneurship And Leadership (DEAL) Foundation works across the districts of Gadag and Bengaluru to promote sustainable livelihood opportunities for persons with disabilities.
Employment being one of the most Important steps to achieving sustainability, we work towards promoting awareness on providing opportunities for persons with disabilities which would help them prove themselves and also achieve sustainability.
For specific questions regarding the blog, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To know more about the work we do, log on to www.deal-foundation.com